Craving for Drama - I strive to make a striking and gut-wrenching experience...one that haunts people in their sleep.
Rebellion - I do not want to paint landscape paintings even though they may sell well. I want to create a fresh and difficult experience. "My goal is not to appease and comfort, but rather to agitate and illuminate places that are usually left unexplored."
Sheer energy - I use my fears, sadness, and anger to motivate me. I get excited by my own work.
Sheer energy - I get swept up in the energy to the point that I cannot stop to eat or sleep. My mind becomes unfocused and easily distracted.
OCD - I get caught up in perfection instead of allowing happy mistakes to happen. I become so focused that I ignore rich side projects. I will spend inordinate amounts of time on extremely small details that may not matter to the whole. For example, cutting tiny squares.
OCD - When I discover a new medium, I hoard on it, which creates boxes and boxes of clutter in my studio.
- I make “to do” lists and check items off as I go.
- I keep myself organized with summary sheets and inspiration binders.
- I create a blog that keeps track of my progress and reminds me that I spend a lot of my life creating.
- I honor an extremely low budget by having control. Instead of buying items, I construct them myself.
- I become so focused on my plan, I don’t allow myself to play and experiment freely.
- I’m overly modest, instead of celebrating my creativeness.
- I over-intellectualize my work to attempt to make it fit into the “art world”.
- I criticize my own work too harshly.
Wildness and tameness in dynamic balance
- When arriving at my studio, sit quietly for 2 minutes. Then review my “to do” list and begin.
- Take time before leaving for my studio, to pack a fulfilling lunch complete with healthy snacks.
Goals for this week:
- Peruse 3 Sculpture magazines - completed
- Do another test with crackle pastes - completed
- Research how to sharpen a knife with a curved blade - completed
- Cut out pieces for second version of armband - completed
Goals for next week:
- Update MDR project in website
- Research artists in folder
- Apply crackle medium to headrest
- Finish box for casting medication pill
- Enter new AIR and grant information into spreadsheet