Today I met with my art group to discuss Chapter 1: Section 5-8 of Eric Maisel's book Fearless Creating.
Take risks. Break the rules. Don’t be afraid to fuck it up. One surprise is worth a thousand ideas. What is a mistake?
Accept your idiosyncratic goals. Feel autonomous. I am a creator. I am the god of my world. Do not conform.
1) Work naked
I worked naked for a while, but it did not feel wild or challenging. Nakedness does not inspire wildness in me. I did not encounter the work differently and most of the time I kept trying to imagine a different scenario that would challenge me more. I want to “nurture wildness”.
2) Your wild faces - I shared my four drawings.
3) Healthy tameness
Before I go into a situation where I know I will be likely to get caught up in sheer energy, I will spend a minute to breathe and sit quietly. Afterwards, I will create a list of things I wish to accomplish, so that I can keep clear about my goals. I will breathe and then begin working. I will continue to support this quality by having occasional check-ins with awareness.
Goals for this week:
- Spend 20 min. on AIR application - read over the Vermont Studio Center website and half of handbook
- Research storyboarding for 15 minutes - found a few on-line applications, but I don’t like the aesthetic style of the storyboards
- Email Andy re: storyboarding - completed and he suggested doing it by hand
- Mock up armband - waiting until I receive fasteners
- Work on art binders for 15 minutes - did not do
- Make hair flowers for 10 minutes - did not do
Goals for next week:
- Mock up armband with hook and eyes
- Buy two vest buckles for armband
- Make hair flowers for 10 minutes
- Peruse 3 Sculpture magazines
- Go to Dick Blick to buy crackle paste
- Work on film breakdown for 15 minutes