Many of the drawings did not turn out great, but it was still a great experience.
Over the years, I have collected quite a few pastel sets and often there are colors I would never use. I learned online how to make new pastels from the old. I use browns a lot in my sketches, so tried an experiment. The results were not too bad, especially considering they were unusable for me.
I think I'll buy a cheap and small mortar and pestle to make the job easier because I'd like to make a lot more.
I designed, printed, and added labels to the jars I bought. I will be working with only five colors, so the job wasn't too bad.
I also tried an experiment to glue together a cradle for a wood panel. I don't have corner clamps.
The other night I worked on a leg painting and did not like the results. I worked on it more tonight.
I decided to try using my Rapidograph ink pens to make the drawing and then fill in with watercolor. I really hate the results, so I'll work on it more another night.
Today it was Joe and I, which was nice to have a smaller group for once.
It was rainy and foggy at the museum and as I exited saw the side of the building was draped in white plastic.
I was disappointed in the Klimt exhibit at the Legion of Honour because it was far too small. It was also poorly organized.
Today's session was really challenging in that the actual drawing experience did not feel engaged and also I did not like the final results. Regardless, it's still good practice.
I bought a new sewing machine for my studio. I quickly crafted a bobbin holder from a sanded dowel and two drilled buttons made of bone.
Afterwards, I sewed a couple of non-art related things.
Today I found information on Scherenschnitte, a 16th-century Swiss-German folk-art tradition. It got my wheels turning.
First I worked on a second test painting for the dissected legs.
Then I added more latex tubing to my ongoing sculpture/installation.
On the other leg painting that is a lot more transparent, I made a decision that I liked the edges painted white rather than black. So I repainted.
I also drew a pattern for a color checker on some basswood.
Finally, I sorted my paints again to make a limited palette. This is suggested by the Austin, Texas teacher, Mark Calder. I really like his free instructional videos.
Finally, I carved a torch, which can be really physical using the drawknife. After I made it, realized that the handle was way too long, so I cut it to the right length and reattached the end.
Today I cut out a few items from anatomical books. I already like what I'm starting with.
Worked for a long time today.
Terrance Graven is a San Francisco artist whose installations incorporate sculptural elements, performance art, costumes, sound pieces, and theatrical lighting.